Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I know, this New Year's post is a week or so late. My b. But I've had my hands full and instead of doing the usual reflecting for 3-4 hrs at a coffee house... I've been reflecting sporadically in my spare time (aka... while nursing). This past year sure was COMPLETELY different than I had planned, so I do recognize that this post is semi-hysterical and pointless. Life happens, crazy hits, and then your goals shift/change. Although we plan, we do not know what the future holds. But there are a few overarching goals that I would like to get done regardless of what happens this year.
So I'm going to lay out some goals... but to be honest, they are merely tasks. And as I thought about most of them they had a much deeper purpose than to actually accomplish the task. In other words, the task really isn't the objective. The task is the means to a greater change within me. Get it? No, that's ok... I'm talking crazy. But I'll explain. I'll list the tasks/goals first and then I'll list my actual purpose/goal.
- Read the Bible in a year - I didn't finish last year... so we're starting all over again. :) (and I'm using THIS TOOL if you're interested).
- Run two half marathons, not for pr but for the sake of running.
- Not be SOOOO busy and invest more in the people God has placed in our immediate circle.
- Learn how to better balance being both a wife & mom.
That's it. Only four goals. But these are only the outward tasks of hopefully inward change. My real goals are...
- Learn to LOVE the discipline of reading the Bible consistently. Both the New Testament and the Old. I want to have a hunger for Scripture and one day, I want to have digested so much Scripture that it just spews out from me into my life.
- Learn to LOVE running again for the sake of running... not to "be somebody" or to be the "fastest." I want to love running again so that it is a discipline that I enjoy.
- Learn to LOVE the people God places in my life. I cannot do this well if I am spread too thin.
- Learn how to LOVE my new roles. Learn how to LOVE the Mister and the girls well during this new season. The way I loved the Mister before needs to change, adjust, mold as we take on this new journey of parenthood.
Notice the trend? I want to love more. I want to love His Scriptures, running, my community, and my family better. It's not that I want to get "better" at things... I want to actually be bursting with love. I want His love to overflow into my spheres of influence. And when that love comes, I think that's when I'll see longterm change. And really, only #2 is one that can be changed by circumstances. All other goals should be carried on regardless of what the year brings...
Anyways, just a few things to jot down for this journey. Would love to hear some of yours!
2012, you were cray cray... and to be honest 2013, I'm hoping you're a bit more chill... Here's to new goals and lots of LOVE in 2013!